For those who are too young to remember, there was plane crash in 1959 in Clear Lake, Iowa that at the time had three big stars involved. They were Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper, and Buddy Holly. The tradedy gripped many across the country at the time because of the popularity of the three. Northwest…
SPORTS NEWS OCTOBER 31 2014 The Forest City volleyball team breezed into the regional finals Thursday night, as they swept number 14 Estherville-Lincoln Central 25-15, 25-12, 25-16. Maggie Mathiasen had 15 kills and 11 digs, Rachel Koch 13 kills and 19 digs, and Sarri Happel 13 kills and 3 blocks. The Indians play for a…
Chester Dean Gunderson, age 79, of Conyers, Georgia, formerly of Belmond passed away Tuesday October 28, 2014 at his home in Conyers. Funeral services for Chester Dean Gunderson will be held at 1:30 P.M. Sunday November 2, 2014 at the Trinity Lutheran Church in Belmond. Pastor Alan Schulz will officiate. Burial will take place in…
Hancock County Health System is having an open house for the New Senior Life Solutions Program on the third floor of the hospital in Britt. The Ribbon Cutting will be at 3PM and the open house runs from 3:00PM to 6:00PM, September 16, 2014. Help with Ribbon Cutting, take a tour, enjoy refreshments and register…
- Professor says despite 2014 outcome, Iowa will be ‘purple all the way’ in 2016 October 31, 2014Two Iowa political scientists say Iowa has “unique” split-ticket voting patterns. Iowa State University political science professor Dave Andersen explains. “I’m new to Iowa and I grew up in New Jersey and in the northeast, where I’m used to seeing states track to one party or the other and Iowa is unique that you can have […]O. Kay Henderson
- Cyclones 14th in AP preseason basketball poll October 31, 2014The Iowa State men are ranked 14th in the Associated Press preseason top-25 basektball poll. That’s the Cyclones’ highest preseason ranking since the 1996-97 season, when ISU was ranked 9th entering the season. It is just the fourth time in school history that the Cyclones have been ranked in the preseason top-25. Iowa State returns […]Dar Danielson
- Teal Pumpkin Project seeks safe alternatives for kids allergic to candy October 31, 2014Halloween isn’t a very happy holiday for the estimated one in every 13 Iowa kids who have food allergies since they can’t partake in the annual ritual of gobbling piles of candy after trick-or-treating. A central Iowa woman has launched a non-profit group that aims to raise awareness of food allergies during this holiday and […]Matt Kelley
- Police fire tear gas into Cherokee man’s home October 31, 2014A standoff in the northwest Iowa town of Cherokee ended early this morning, after a man barricaded himself in a home late last night and threatened to kill himself. Police arrived at the home of 35-year-old Joshua Lee Allender and saw him inside the house, though he refused to come out. Police say Allender showed […]Radio Iowa Contributor
- West Union bus hits manure spreader, lands in ditch October 31, 2014A school bus collided with a tractor that was pulling a manure spreader in northeast Iowa’s Fayette County. The accident happened just before 4:30 p.m. Thursday west of West Union, near the intersection of O Avenue and 220th Street. A tractor driven by 55-year-old Brent Mitchell of Hawkeye was in the process of making a […]Radio Iowa Contributor
- Maine Judge Rejects Ebola Quarantine for Nurse October 31, 2014Kaci Hickox voiced her support for healthcare workers helping to fight Ebola in West Africa.Stephanie Gosk and Erin McClam
- Virgin Galactic Space Tourism Rocket Crashes: 1 Dead, 1 Injured October 31, 2014Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo rocket plane crashed during a powered test flight on Friday, resulting in one fatality and one injury, authorities said.Alan Boyle
- 'Subway Diet' Failure Led to Sandwich Shop Robbery: Police October 31, 2014A suspect in an armed robbery of a Subway sandwich restaurant in Alabama told investigators he acted out of anger because of his failed "Subway Diet."
- Message on Restaurant Wall Leads to Rescue of Kidnapped Woman October 31, 2014A message written in lipstick lead cops to a 25-year-old woman who they say was kidnapped and raped by her estranged husband.
- Plane That Hit Kansas Building Showed No Issues: NTSB October 31, 2014At least four people were killed and five were injured when a Beechcraft King Air twin-engine plane hit the top of a two-story Wichita building.
- Nevada farmers research sustainable corn stover harvest October 30, 2014NEVADA, Iowa – Corn stover may be an untapped and profitable renewable resource, if farmers are able to harvest it sustainably from their fields. A...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- Meat labeling appeal unlikely until next year October 29, 2014Your browser does not support the audio tag. WASHINGTON – Last week the World Trade Organization found USDA’s mandatory country of origin labeling rule violates...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- Brazil planting delays could support corn prices next year October 27, 2014DES MOINES, Iowa – It’s been too dry for much of October for farmers to get this year’s soybean crop in the ground, according to...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- IFB’s Hill: There’s a better way to label meat October 27, 2014Your browser does not support the audio tag. WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Go to a meat counter today and you’ll see that many cuts...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- Colfax Sheep Auction: October 25, 2014 October 27, 2014COLFAX, Iowa – Fully 25 percent of the sheep at the last sheep and goat auction in Colfax were over 150 pounds in weigh. Of...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- Rose Napravnik talks Untapable's Distaff win November 1, 2014Jockey Rose Napravnik takes us through Untapable's victorious run in the Breeders' Cup Distaff and discusses what the win means to her.
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas November 1, 2014Matt Kenseth won the pole Friday at Texas Motor Speedway, but Tony Stewart lived up to his nickname and smoked the field with the fastest qualifying speed ever on a 1.5-mile track.
- Video: Josh Manson, son of former pugilist Dave Manson, expected to make NHL debut November 1, 2014He's on the left in that photo. Doing what his old man used to do.
- No. 21 ECU visits Temple with eye on 7-1 record November 1, 2014PHILADELPHIA (AP) No. 21 East Carolina doesn't care about where it's ranked - just that the wins keep coming. One more victory and Pirates will earn another slice of history. East Carolina can match the best eight-game start in school history on Saturday by beating Temple.
- Untapable powers through for Distaff win November 1, 2014Untapable emerges from the pack and takes home a victory in the Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff.
- Neil Patrick Harris and Gotham City Family Do Halloween Right October 31, 2014Neil Patrick Harris and his adorable family finally got dressed for Halloween on Friday and the results are sure to please—especially in Gotham City.
- Annotate the News: Salon du Chocolat October 31, 2014Chocolate fans in Paris are celebrating the 20th annual Salon du Chocolat with clothing, dresses and a four-meter-high chocolate King Kong – all made of chocolate!
- Being a Pop Star Can Take Up To 25 Years Off Your Life October 31, 2014A new study shows pop stars die 25 years earlier than the average American. 12,000 musicians from different genres who died since 1950 were examined for this study.Rebecca Davis
- Check Out Ruth Baby Ginsburg and 7 Other Kid Costumes October 31, 2014These kids are winning Halloween, and they’re not even dressed like baby strippers or baby cigarettes.
- Woman in Viral Catcall PSA Video Tells Her Story October 31, 2014"I'm telling you my story so somebody can understand and walk in my shoes for two minutes,” explained Shoshana Roberts.
- Lowe's Swarmed By Bee Activists Over Pesticides October 31, 2014Environmental groups are trying to put a scare into Lowe's this Halloween.
- School Debt Spurs 21-Year-Old To Run For Office October 31, 2014Patrick Lockhart's student loan debt inspired him to take a semester off school and run for office to try to make college more affordable for others.
- Sexy Ebola Costume Backlash Spurs Hazmat Donations October 31, 2014A controversial fake Ebola Halloween costume has inspired a donation campaign to fund real hazmat suits for doctors.
- How to Max Your Halloween Candy Haul October 31, 2014To come home with the biggest bag of candy this Halloween, you've got to be willing to be a little devil.
- Fishy Outcome for Botched IPO by Chinese Firm October 31, 2014Public offering gets suspended after company admitted in prospectus it was in no danger of being punished for exceed international tuna quotas.Mark Koba
KIOW on Facebook: