Belmond-Klemme School District residents may need a math class to figure this one out, but the school budget will be lower and taxes will be higher. Sounds like that nightmare Algebra course is coming back to haunt you, right? In truth, the explanation will not be algebraic in nature, but simply a matter of economics. The…
The Forest City boys track team finished 3rd at the Clear Lake Relays Monday night, scoring 60 points. Grant Lehmann led the Indians, winning the high jump. The 4×800 meter relay won, while the 4×400 relay and Chad Ullmann in the 1600 finished 2nd. Algona won with 135 points, Clear Lake was 2nd with 93,…
- Colfax Sheep Auction: April 19, 2014 April 21, 2014COLFAX, Iowa – The April 19th Sheep and Goat market in Colfax had a lighter run than the previous week’s on Saturday, with 341 head...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- Here’s what you should know about one of this year’s major soybean pests April 21, 2014To hear more on the spread of the brown marmorated stinkbug, click here. DES MOINES, Iowa and WASHINGTON – The emerald ash borer may be...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- USDA announces mandatory reporting for swine diseases April 18, 2014ST. PAUL, Minn. (USDA) – Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack today announced that in an effort to further enhance the biosecurity and health of the US...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- 2013/2014 U.S. corn exports above U.S. No. 2 on all grade factors April 16, 2014To hear more about the quality of this marketing year’s corn exports, click here. WASHINGTON – U.S. corn exported early this marketing year was better...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- Winter cold had little chilling effect on emerald ash borer spread April 16, 2014To hear more on how the emerald ash borer was affected by persistent cold last winter, click here. AMES, Iowa – Record-cold temperatures this past...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- New York Rangers Take Series Lead Over Flyers April 23, 2014The New York Rangers chased Philadelphia Flyers’ goaltender Ray Emery in an eventual 4-1 win to take a 2-1 lead in the best-of-7 series
- Syria's Foreign Fighters Use Social Media As Recruitment Tool April 23, 2014A new video posted on YouTube claims to show a British jihadist in Syria touring a militant base and unveiling the austere living conditions of extremist fighters there.“We wanted to show you the basic living of the brothers in this base,” says the man in the video with a distinct English accent.Sarah Burke
- Sub Captures Images of 'Largely Unknown' WWII Wreck on 70th Anniversary April 23, 2014The carnage was far greater than the famed invasion on Utah Beach, and yet full details about the attack on American vessels off the coast of England during WWII weren’t made public for decades.Elisha Fieldstadt
- If It Quacks Like a Duck, It Might Be a Whale April 23, 2014A mysterious duck-like sound recorded in the ocean around Antarctica has baffled scientists for decades, but the source of the sound has finally been found, researchers say.For more than 50 years, researchers have recorded the so-called "bio-duck" sound in the Southern Ocean.
- Dutch Police Hint at Criminal Activity in Women's Disappearance April 23, 2014Two Dutch women who disappeared earlier this month in Panama are unlikely to have gotten lost in the mountainous region, Dutch police said on Tuesday, raising the possibility three weeks into the search that the two may have been the victims of a crime.
- Carmelo Anthony wants the “Dwight Howard treatment” as a free agent April 22, 2014He wants to be recruited.
- Rolando McClain added to reserve/retired list April 22, 2014Ravens linebacker Rolando McClain was placed on the reserve/retired list on Tuesday, according to the NFL’s daily transaction log. McClain told ESPN on Monday that he was ending his comeback attempt after a season away from football. The Ravens signed the 24-year-old McClain last April, but the former Alabama star retired a little more than…
- NASCAR America: Gordon and Johnson still winless April 22, 2014NASCAR America takes a look back at Texas with All Scan 43. Hendrick Motorsports teammates Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson, with 10 championships between them, still look for their respective first wins of the season.
- NASCAR America: Busch breaks winless streak April 22, 2014Leigh Diffey and Wally Dallenbach take a look back at Martinsville in this edition of Scan All 43. Watch Kurt Busch snap an 83-race winless streak.
- Mets ace Matt Harvey off Twitter after photo flap April 22, 2014NEW YORK (AP) The picture Matt Harvey tweeted of himself making an obscene gesture on his way into surgery caused such a stir that the injured New York Mets ace has shut down his Twitter account....
- Girl Power: Drew Barrymore Gives Birth to Second Daughter April 22, 2014The actress has added to her famliy. Baby Frankie Barrymore Kopelman has joined her older sister, Olive, who's almost 2.
- Girl power: Drew Barrymore welcomes her second daughter April 22, 2014Drew Barrymore and husband Will Kopelman welcomed a second daughter, Frankie, on Tuesday, People magazine reports.“Happy to announce that today we are the proud parents of our second daughter, Frankie Barrymore Kopelman,” the couple told the magazine.Gael Fashingbauer Cooper
- 'Ice Road Truckers' Star Kidnapped, Beat Las Vegas Prostitute: Police April 22, 2014NEW YORK — A former star of the History Channel reality TV show "IRT: Deadliest Roads" is due in court in Las Vegas next month to face first degree kidnapping, extortion and coercion charges, a spokeswoman for the Clark County District Attorney's Office said.
- 'Mean Girls' actor comes out in letter to his iconic gay character April 22, 2014Ten years after they first "met" in the 2004 comedy "Mean Girls," actor Daniel Franzese has come out in a letter he wrote to Damian, the openly gay character he played in the film.Kurt Schlosser
- 'Mean Girls' Actor Comes Out In Letter to Gay Character April 22, 2014In an open letter to the iconic character Damian, the actor reveals what it meant to play the part and why it took so long to come out as gay.
- Airbnb Vs. New York City Hearing Ends Without Judge's Ruling April 23, 2014The judge reserved his decision and will issue his ruling sometime in the future, according to the court clerk's office.
- U.S. Opens Probe Into Automatic Brakes on 2014 GM Chevy Impala April 22, 2014U.S. safety regulators have opened an investigation to determine if the emergency braking system on General Motors Co.'s 2014 Chevrolet Impala is defective.There are an estimated 61,000 Impala sedans in the United States.
- IRS Paid Bonuses to 1,100 Who Owe Back Taxes April 22, 2014The Internal Revenue Service has paid more than $2.8 million in bonuses to employees with recent disciplinary problems, including $1 million to workers who owed back taxes, a government investigator said Tuesday.
- Video: Dorian Nakamoto Thanks Bitcoin Community For Donations April 22, 2014Dorian Nakamoto, the man alleged by Newsweek to be the creator of cryptocurrency bitcoin, appeared in a video Tuesday to once more deny the allegations and thank the people who had donated to a fundraiser benefiting his family.Devin Coldewey
- Google Agreed to Pick Up Some of Samsung's Legal Defense in Apple Case April 22, 2014Apple has sued Samsung for infringement of five patents and argued it should have to pay upwards of $2 billion.
KIOW on Facebook: