School funding issues are before both the House and Senate of the Iowa Legislature. The Senate passed a bill that would increase spending on education by 4%. The question is, will the House agree to the rate? Senator Herman Quimbach who chairs the Senate Education Committee was firm in his resolve to see the bill…
SPORTS NEWS FEBRUARY 10 2016 The Lake Mills wrestling team punched their ticket to the State Dual Team Tournament in their home gym Tuesday night, defeating conference rival Belmond-Klemme 44-30, before downing 6th ranked Sumner-Fredricksburg 45-30. Slade Sifuentes and Spencer Jensen both went 2-0 for the Bulldogs. Lake Mills takes on Don Bosco in the…
Norbert Francis Machacek, 80, of Forest City, died Tuesday, February 9, 2016 in Florida. Funeral services will be held 10:30 A.M., Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at St. James Catholic Church in Forest City with Fr. Jim Dubert officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 P.M., Monday…
Back by popular demand: painting workshop When: Monday, January 18th, 6:00 – 8:00 pm Where: Britt Municipal Building Cost: $20 for 4-H members (including Clover Kids) $25 for non-4-H youth $35 for adults Registration: Extension Office, 923-2856 Use your painting for a gift and/or fair exhibit. No age requirement. Parents and public are welcome…
- Cyclones falter late and lose in OT February 11, 2016Iowa State could not finish off Texas Tech and it proved costly. The 14th ranked Cyclones squandered a six point lead in the final two and a half minutes of regulation and the Red Raiders claimed an 85-82 victory in overtime. A layup by Deonte Burton was the only field goal Iowa State could generate […]Todd Kimm
- State Treasurer proposes a retirement program modeled after College Savings Iowa February 10, 2016Iowa’s treasurer is pitching a plan to provide private sector workers with a retirement account, if their employer doesn’t already offer such a savings plan. Michael Fitzgerald says “Retirement Savings Iowa” would be modeled after another program run by his office. “We had such great success 18 years ago when we started College Savings Iowa, […]Pat Curtis
- ‘This Old House’ host visiting Iowa for home show (audio) February 10, 2016There are all sorts of home improvement shows on TV but the original program in the genre, “This Old House,” is still going strong on PBS and its host will be in central Iowa this week. Kevin O’Connor will be doing Q-and-A sessions with Iowa homeowners about their challenges as well as talking about television’s […]Matt Kelley
- Iowa women eye strong finish February 10, 2016The Iowa Hawkeye women hope to finish the regular season strong and it begins with a game at home on Thursday night against seventh ranked Ohio State. The Hawkeyes are 5-7 in the Big Ten after Sunday’s home loss to Michigan State. “We are getting better and that is to be expected with a young […]Todd Kimm
- Senator Ernst introduces bill to deal with military sexual assaults February 10, 2016Iowa Senator Joni Ernst, a Republican from Red Oak, has introduced legislation to help members of the military that have been sexually assaulted. Ernst says he Military Sexual Assault Victims Empowerment Act or SAVE, has several goals. “Including changing military culture and the overall prevention of sexual assault to stop this crime in the first place,” […]Dar Danielson
- FBI Surrounds Remaining Oregon Refuge Occupiers February 11, 2016FBI agents have converged on the Oregon wildlife refuge where the last four followers of Ammon and Ryan Bundy remain holed up, the agency confirmed.Alex Johnson
- N. Korean Leader Had Military Chief Executed: Sources February 11, 2016The execution of Army General Ri Yong-Gil would be the latest in a series of killings, purges and dismissals since Kim took power in late 2011.Stella Kim and The Associated Press
- Insult to Injury: Cleveland Bills Tamir Rice Estate $500 February 11, 2016The attorney for the Rice family said the bill "adds insult to homicide." Tamir Rice, 12, was fatally shot by a police officer in November 2014.Phil Helsel
- Former L.A. Sheriff Pleads Guilty to Federal Charges February 11, 2016Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca has pleaded guilty to a federal charge of lying to investigators as part of a misconduct probe.
- Two Maryland Deputies Shot Dead, Suspect Killed February 11, 2016The gunman reportedly opened fire without warning after a Harford County sheriff's deputy spoke with him at a Panera Bread in Abingdon, Md.Phil Helsel
- Governor Branstad: Des Moines Water Works lawsuit is a war against Iowa farmers February 11, 2016by Ben Nuelle Governor Terry Branstad says the Des Moines Water Works lawsuit is a war against Iowa farmers. Iowa Governor Terry Branstad spoke about water quality and the Des Moines WaterWorks lawsuit at the Agribusiness Showcase Wednesday in Des Moines. Branstad says he hates seeing the capital attacking farmers in rural Iowa. “We have some ofBen Nuelle
- Ben Nuelle interviews Governor Terry Branstad February 11, 2016Iowa Governor Terry Branstad talks with Ben Nuelle about challenges for Iowa farmers, water quality issues, and Des Moines Water Works lawsuit. AIRED: World of Agriculture 2-11-16Ben Nuelle
- Emerald Ash Borer confirmed in Johnson County February 10, 2016DES MOINES – Emerald ash borer (EAB), a tree-killing pest of ash trees, has been confirmed in Iowa City. The discovery was the result of University of Iowa – Facilities Management – Landscape Services personnel contacting the Iowa EAB Team after locating trees on campus appearing to be under attack by this invasive pest. UponBen Nuelle
- Vilsack comments on Farm Income and Financial Forecast for 2015 & 2016 February 10, 2016WASHINGTON– Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack issued the following statement Tuesday on the Farm Income and Financial Forecasts for 2015 and 2016, released by USDA’s Economic Research Service. “Today’s farm income forecast anticipates continued growth in median farm household income to a record level of $81,666 in 2016, up 4.5 percent. This trend reflects the investments made byBen Nuelle
- Oil Price Continues to Fall February 10, 2016Hoosier Ag Today by: Gary Truitt Oil futures finished lower on Tuesday for a fourth-straight session, as lower price outlooks for this year and forecasts for a persistent global glut of supplies sent West Texas Intermediate crude back under $28 a barrel. March West Texas Intermediate crude lost $1.75, or 5.9%, to settle at $27.94 aadmin
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
- 'Pumping and Delirious': Kim Kardashian on Parenting Two Kids February 10, 2016Kim Kardashian West has fame and fortune, but the reality-TV star contends they don't make caring for her two children an easy task.
- Mets Fans Threaten to Boycott Games Over Beyonce Concert February 10, 2016
- Muggles, Rejoice: 'Harry Potter' Book Gets Release Date February 10, 2016Little, Brown announced that it will publish the script of "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" immediately following the play's opening.Connor Mannion
- Misty Copeland Gives Perfect Response to Twitter Critics February 10, 2016Renowned dancer Misty Copeland offered a pointed response to at least one critic on social media who argued that the documentary about her lifeChristopher Nelson
- Penélope Cruz: She Learned to Act in Her Mother's Hair Salon February 10, 2016Oscar winner Penélope Cruz made a pit stop on the TODAY show to chat about her role in "Zoolander 2" and growing up in her mother's hair salon.
- Experts: Shipping Lithium Ion Batteries on Planes Is Unsafe February 11, 2016Federal transportation regulators and the country's main pilots union are warning against shipping large quantities of lithium ion batteries.Tom Costello
- Real Tinker Bell? Disney Parks Plan to Use Drones February 10, 2016There's a new Disney star, and it's not a character, a cartoon, or a movie. It's a drone that beams light and performs acrobatics during shows.Lucy Bayly
- Students Still Saddled With High Textbook Costs: Report February 10, 2016Rising tuition costs aren't the only thing driving up the cost of higher education. Textbook prices have skyrocketed in recent years.Since 2006, the cHerb Weisbaum
- Burger King Wants You to Eat Its New Hot Dogs February 10, 2016Burger King says its ability to flame-grill meat makes hot dogs a natural fit on its menu.Associated Press
- Climate Change May Make Transatlantic Flights Longer February 10, 2016Climate change could impact transatlantic travel, making eastbound flights longer and costing airlines an extra $22 million per year in fuel.Lucy Bayly
KIOW on Facebook: