Michael Bohl of Mason City and Cassie Helland of Mason City are the winners of North Iowa Area Community College’s Extreme Makeover: College Edition. Each will receive free NIACC tuition plus textbooks and more for the 2015-16 school year. Bohl was surprised and excited to be selected as one of the winners. “I couldn’t believe…
Forest City baseball, softball teams fall in conference openers Wednesday, Frayne from GHV qualifies for state golf
SPORTS NEWS MAY 28 2015 The Forest City softball team fell to Osage 12-2 in their North Iowa Conference opener Wednesday night. Other softball scores: North Iowa 18, West Hancock 4 6 innings Rachel Hassebroek, NI, 3 hits, 3B, 2B Bishop Garrigan 10, Lake Mills 0 5 innings Eagle Grove 10, Belmond-Klemme 2 North Union…
Robert “Bob” J. Farris, 72, of rural Clear Lake died Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at his home. Visitation will be held 5 to 7 P.M. Sunday, May 31st at the Cataldo Funeral Chapel, 160 East 4th St. in Garner. Following the visitation there will be a service with the Rev. Ed Bard, chaplain at Hospice…
Are you having trouble sleeping? Are you waking up feeling tired and not ready for the day? Hancock County Health System is hosting a free sleep clinic in Britt this Thursday, May 21st to help address your sleep issues. Respiratory Therapist Molly Schaefer tells about the event. The amount of sleep a person requires varies…
- Santorum back in Iowa, as ‘official’ 2016 candidate May 28, 2015Rick Santorum made his candidacy for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination “official” this week and he’s back in Iowa for town hall meetings with Iowans. His first stop this afternoon was at a restaurant in Davenport, where he met with about 100 people. “I know the difference between: ‘I like you’ and ‘I’m for you’ […]O. Kay Henderson
- New treatment offers new hope for Iowans with severe depression May 28, 2015A psychiatrist in central Iowa is among the first in the state to use a new type of therapy for patients with what’s called treatment-resistant depression. It strikes five to six-percent of the population, people for whom counseling and drugs simply don’t work. Dr. Eric Barlow, of Urbandale, says he’s been offering his patients transcranial […]Matt Kelley
- Paul says he’s ‘one of the few to be honest’ about US intervention in Middle East May 28, 2015Kentucky Senator Rand Paul says despite a crowd of competitors for the GOP’s 2016 presidential nomination, he doesn’t find it difficult to stand out from the pack. “I think it’s rather easy for me,” Paul said this morning during an interview with KROS Radio. “I’m the only one really opposed to the domestic spying program. I’m the […]Radio Iowa Contributor
- Two Iowans fail to make National Spelling Bee semifinals May 28, 2015The two Iowa boys who were competing in the National Spelling Bee were eliminated in the second round. Twelve-year-old Zander Reed of Ames is a seventh grader who competed in the Scripps National Spelling Bee in 2013 and 2014. He misspelled the word alleviate during the oral spelling test and was eliminated from the second […]O. Kay Henderson
- Over $1 million in Iowa Lottery prizes went unclaimed in 2014 May 28, 2015A spokesperson for the Iowa Lottery says it’s unusual for large prizes to go unclaimed, but a lot of winning tickets for smaller prizes weren’t turned in last year. Mary Neubauer says two Powerball tickets purchased in the state — one worth $10,000 and the other worth $20,000 — will expire next month. “We usually don’t […]Pat Curtis
- 'Heartbreaking': Search for Texas Flood Victims Goes On May 28, 2015Rescue crews have already pulled more than 100 people from rushing floodwaters in Texas, some of them swept downstream more than 10 miles.M. Alex Johnson and Erin McClam
- Argentine Judge Orders Arrest of 3 Executives in FIFA Scandal May 28, 2015A judge in Argentina said Thursday that he had ordered the arrest of three businessmen named in a corruption scandal engulfing world soccer.Reuters
- This May Explain Why DOD Accidentally Sent 'Live' Anthrax May 28, 2015Hard-to-kill anthrax spores may explain why the Department of Defense accidentally sent out "live" samples of the bacteria, experts say.Maggie Fox
- How to Surf the Web Safely at 30,000 Feet May 28, 2015Unthinkable just a few years ago, Internet access is now widely available on planes in flight. But it carries the same risks as on the ground.Tom Costello
- Ex-Speaker Hastert Indicted Over Alleged Hush Money Withdrawals May 28, 2015Prosecutors say for the past four years the former Republican Speaker of the House has paid $1.7 million dollars in apparent hush money.Phil Helsel
- Pollinators in spotlight after widespread disappearances May 26, 2015AMES, Iowa – It’s said that pollinators are responsible for one of every three bites of food we eat. So what’s being done to ensure...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- Planting season still lagging behind in soggy southwest Iowa May 26, 2015 Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- COOL trade retaliation unlikely until late summer, says Grassley May 19, 2015WASHINGTON and AMES, Iowa – On Monday the World Trade Organization decided against the United States in its fourth and final appeal regarding USDA’s country...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- Colfax Sheep Auction: May 16, 2015 May 18, 2015COLFAX, Iowa – The weekly market in Colfax saw a heavy run of sheep this past Saturday, with no sale next weekend due to the...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- Not cool! Congressional ag leadership reacts to ruling on country of origin labelling May 18, 2015WASHINGTON – In its fourth and final ruling, the World Trade Organization again sided with Mexico and Canada in the dispute over USDA’s controversial mandatory...Iowa Agribusiness Radio Network Staff
- Jaguars hire former Jets G.M. John Idzik to full-time position May 28, 2015Maybe now all the people who went to the Tim Tebow rally in Jacksonville can divert their attention to buying airplane banners. Because the Jaguars have hired a man who created far more of a grassroots effort among his former fanbase. According to Ryan O’Halloran of the Florida Times-Union, the Jaguars have hired former Jets…
- Bottas confident Williams will bounce back in Canada May 28, 2015After Williams recorded its first non-score since Brazil 2013 in Monaco, Bottas is sure that the team will respond in Montreal next weekend.
- Adam Sandler is back to tell drivers to ‘Starrrrrrrt Yourrrrrrrrrrrr Engines!!!! May 28, 2015Adam Sandler will give the command before the July 19 race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
- Eagles' Kelly says McCoy was wrong to question his motives May 28, 2015PHILADELPHIA (AP) Chip Kelly says LeSean McCoy was wrong to suggest he favors white players over black players and says he never considers race when he's building the Philadelphia Eagles' roster....
- Harrington, Kieffer share lead at Irish Open May 28, 2015Ireland's Padraig Harrington shares the lead at Royal County Down, where tournament host and world No. 1 Rory McIlroy appears to be headed for another missed cut.
- Rap Lyrics Pop Up Around Atlanta May 28, 2015New, red street signs are going up around Atlanta. But they're more about about Outkast and TI, than giving directions. WXIA's Jeremy Campbell reports.
- Comedy Central Sets Trevor Noah's 'Daily Show' Debut May 28, 2015Trevor Noah is set to take over the anchor chair at "The Daily Show" with a September 28th debut this fall, Comedy Central announced Thursday.Daniella Silva
- No Foul Play in Poet Pablo Neruda's Death: Researchers May 28, 2015Initial reports have found no conclusive evidence that acclaimed Chilean poet and Nobel laureate Pablo Neruda was poisoned.
- Tracy Morgan to Give First Interview Since Accident May 28, 2015Actor and comedian Tracy Morgan will sit down with Matt Lauer Monday in his first television interview since the June 2014 car crash that left him critically injured.
- Another Plaque in the Wall: Pink Floyd Honored May 28, 2015Pink Floyd's Nick Mason unveiled a plaque in London's Regent Street to mark the site where the band first met. Roger Waters hopes a royal honor looms.
- SkyMall is Back and has Big Plans May 28, 2015SkyMall is back from bankruptcy and ready to return to your seatbacks to sell you garden Yetis and foldable beds.
- Big Gap In Latino Home Ownership: New Study May 28, 2015Bienvenido a mi casa - welcome to my home.Maria Eugenia Alcón
- Uber, Lyft Push Back Against Proposed NYC Regulations May 28, 2015Uber and Lyft are pushing back against a New York City effort to regulate app-based ride-hailing services.Associated Press
- Australia's Richest Woman Loses $3.8B Battle May 28, 2015Gina Rinehart, dubbed Australia's richest person by Forbes, lost control of a roughly $3.8 billion trust in court on Thursday.Martha C. White
- FBI Opens Investigation into Data Breach at IRS May 28, 2015The FBI has opened an investigation into the recent data breach at the Internal Revenue Service, CNBC has learned Thursday.
KIOW on Facebook: