If you like to camp and meet new people, this is the volunteer experience for you! The Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is looking for campground hosts to live in our state parks for the months of April – October helping DNR staff with light maintenance duties, checking in campers, and being a resource for visitors enjoying our state parks and forests.
Campground hosts are provided a free campsite while they are actively hosting during the camping season. Hosts volunteer 20 – 30 hours per week, including weekends and holidays, while living on site in their own camper.
Campground hosts . . .
- work with DNR staff to ensure that campers have the best experience possible in Iowa’s state parks
- provide a welcoming presence in our campgrounds
- act as models for other campers
- provide park information to visitors
- clean restrooms
- perform light administrative and/or maintenance tasks.
All campground hosts must pass a criminal background check according to Unsupervised Volunteers Background Check Policy.
Parks and Recreation Areas Currently Needing Hosts for 2022:
- Backbone State Park
- Clear Lake State Park
- McIntosh Woods
- Palisades-Kepler State Park
- Stephens Forest
Wishing to help out a park listed above?
Download, complete, and submit a campground host application for that specific park. Applications reviewed, interviews scheduled by park managers and rangers.
For more information, please call 515-443-2533 or contact your local DNR park, forest or preserve.