AudioHealth & LivingMediaNews

Dry Ice May Be Dangerous in Decorating for Halloween

A nurse from the Iowa Poison Control Center says Iowans planning to use dry ice for special effects around Halloween should use proper precautions.

But Tammy Noble, a nurse who is the education coordinator for the Iowa Poison Control Center, says dry ice is far colder than normal ice and can cause frost bite if it touches bare skin.

And Noble says dry ice should never be used in a beverage.

Noble says parents need to keep track of the small, button-sized or coin-sized batteries that may be used to illuminate or animate children’s Halloween costumes.

One of the most common calls to the Iowa Poison Control Center centers around glow sticks used to make kids more visible in the dark. The sticks sometimes get punctured as they’re snapped to activate the glow or kids bite into the sticks. The ingredients in glow sticks are generally non-toxic and, while there can be a burning sensation, most cases will not require medical attention. Noble encourages parents to call the Iowa Poison Control Center, though, if they need guidance, particularly if the liquid is swallowed. It can cause irritation inside the mouth and an upset stomach. The Iowa Poison Control Hotline is answered 24 hours a day. The number is 1-800-222-1222.

Show More
ADVERTISEMENT
Back to top button