With the potential impact of a severe weather winter storm, the Iowa Department of Public Safety’s (DPS) Iowa State Patrol (ISP) is taking proactive measures to ensure the safety of all Iowans who may be traveling and offering travel tips.
The Iowa State Patrol offers the following travel tips for those driving during this potential storm:
- Allow proper stopping time by increasing the following distance
- Do not use cruise control on snow or ice covered roadways
- Use caution on overpasses, bridges, and all ramps
- Be alert and focused on driving
- Allow extra travel time
- Adjust the car’s speed to road conditions
- Wear a seatbelt in the front and back seat
- Fully charged cell phone
- Emergency roadside assistance kit
- Use 911 if assistance is needed or 1-800-525-5555
The Iowa State Patrol wants you to arrive safely at your destination. Provide yourself the lowest risk of a collision by driving without any distractions. Failure to maintain control of your vehicle, even in poor driving conditions, could result in an unwanted outcome.
The Iowa Department of Public Safety reminds Iowans and others traveling through Iowa to follow the Iowa Department of Public Safety and it’s Divisions on social media for up-to-date winter weather information, including road reports, pictures and safety tips.