North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) has received a grant in the amount of $5000 from U.S. Bank to support the Literature to Life Series. This grant will help students, who might never have seen a live performance before, have access to the arts.
“All children deserve access to the arts,” said Elizabeth Gales, Director of NIACC Performing Arts and Literature Series. “Through the Literature to Life program we can deliver literature–based performing arts to all children. The schools provide us a vehicle to reach all children regardless of economic means. This program also reinforces reading by bringing their favorite book characters to life.”
The Literature to Life Series brings world-class performing artists and diverse art forms to the NIACC stage for school audiences for only $1 per student and faculty. Each performance will have available resources to connect to in-class curriculum, providing the perfect opportunity for area youth to learn about, and through, the arts.
The goals of the Literature to Life Series include:
* To connect literature to nationally recognized, award-winning performances for elementary and middle school aged children
* Provide what will be the first live performance experience for many, if not most, of the children
* To inspire a love of reading and the arts as a result of this new creative way to envision a story
* To provide low income youngsters with an affordable arts opportunity
* To inspire thoughtful conversation prior to and after the performances
For more information about NIACC and programs such as the ones mentioned above, visit us online at www.niacc.edu.