Burning Bed in Mason City Home

House fire

The Mason City Fire Department was called to a home at 692 1st Street Southeast. The call came in at 11:21pm where firefighters found a mattress partially burnt and smoking. Heavy smoke filled the air while fire damaged the mattress and box spring below. Other parts of the bedroom were damaged because of the heavy smoke.

Alra Servio who is renting the home was found uninjured in the home. Fire officials say that he had fallen asleep in bed while smoking. Firefighters were able to extinguish the mattress when they arrived and were able to clear the home.  They say that the upstairs suffered minor smoke damage. Servio is currently renting the home from Kathryn Golly.